Tuesday, 4 October 2011

Reading Task Analysis




This evening I realized not to take reading for granted. The steps and processes involved in a child learning to read consists of a very complicated and interwoven web of skills. All of these skills are connected. When one skill is missed, meaning is lost, processing of information is lost, and a child's enjoyment of reading and self-confidence is diminished.

The Reading Task Analysis activity reminded me of one of my first classes when I started my Bachelor of Education. Our professor on the first day of class asked us to remember what it was like learning to read. For myself, I could not remember learning to read. I could not remember a time when I was unable to read. I was very fortunate that learning to read came easy to me. This exercise today reminded me again of why reading can be such a difficult and arduous task for so many of our students.